Friday, July 4, 2008

How rich are you?

Many of us on a budget are continually aspiring to better our lives by being fiscally responsible. For me, I'm saving now so "magical" things such as investing and compounded interest will sprinkle fairy dust on my early retirement and allow me to live a lush lifestyle, not because I'm some dot-com millionaire, but because I took control of my financial life at an age when many are living hand to mouth, charging fancy cars to credit cards while paying rent instead of saving for a down payment on a home. 

Because I'm saving now, I often feel like I never have enough money. But have you ever contextualized this hopefully similar predicament and asked yourself how poor you really are compared to others in the world? I found a fabulous website, www.globalrichlist.com, that ranks you according to how much your annual salary is. 

My salary warrants me as the 103,478,261st RICHEST person in the world, which was surprising considering there are about 6 billion people on earth and I didn't think I made all that much. Apparently, I do! According to the website, that means that I'm in the top 1.72% of wealth worldwide. I'm not really sure to be happy or sad about that number, since it means that there are many people out there who can barely afford to get by, much less have the luxury of saving like the rest of us personal finance writers. Really puts things into perspective.

Anyway, head on over to the site and let me know how rich you are! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, now I do feel rich! I am in the top 2.09% and am ranked 125,530,435! Thanks! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin