Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fashion on a Budget: New Target/Hayden-Harnett bag line

Target is gearing up to debut their 7th designer handbag collection, this time with bag designers Toni Hacker and Ben Harnett, Brooklyn natives who founded their fashion house a mere four years ago in 2005 and have risen rapidly to become trendsetters in their genre, selling to high-end boutiques worldwide. Us girls on a budget may not be able to strut into the nearest Apres Peau and plunk down $700 (sigh) for any Hayden-Harnett goodness, but now (much like we used to play dress up and pretend we were the Queen of England ... or was that just me?) we can "play" with a budget of $25 and live luxe. Well, kind of.

The Hayden-Harnett collection will be dropping it like it's hot on December 28th, so get thee to your nearest Target when the big day rolls around to examine the goods mano a mano. Hey, I know you'll be out anyway flitting in retail land on your post-Christmas mission to lap up goodies on sale ... at least I will be. The bags will range between $19.99 and $49.99 (not bad at all), and will include oversized envelope clutches, convertible hobos and flight totes. Snazzy detailing on said bags will include distressed brown or black faux-leather and a multi-color fig-leaf printed canvas. Sweet, because in the floral motif realm, hibiscus flowers are so 1997. Fig leafs are the new hibiscus.

And now for your viewing pleasure:Mary Poppins meets the The King and I, with a fig-leaf twist (above). Interesting Thai-influenced umbrella.
This brown clutch (above) also comes in black. Love the Chanel-influenced woven chain and faux-leather wristlet strap, not sure about the exposed coin pouch. It looks like it was stuck to the outside because they wanted the product to look "different." Is this a clutch, wristlet, or actual handbag? Is defining handbags already passe?Like the previous clutch, this one (above) also comes available in black. I think it's tres cute -- very 70s hippie meets urban chic. The (faux) leather looks like it actually wouldn't look that ... faux ... in person and I love the pleated detail and gold-riveted plates in the center.
I also love this handbag, but I can't decide whether I like it better in brown or black. Regardless, it reminds me of the $1,500 Balenciaga motorcycle bag that I have coveted for, oh, the past four years and will probably continue to do so for a very, very long time. If I buy either of these, I'd ake off the shoulder strap and use the shorter handles -- it'd be cuter held than carried by your shoulder.A fig-leaf -- I love saying that -- canvas version of the above bags.

Can't decide whether I love it or hate it (above). Leather and chain straps? Check. Odd, bottom-heavy silhouette replete with studs on underbelly? Not so check. Must examine in person.Yet another handbag of the fig-leaf canvas variety. Is it just me or is this print somewhat reminscient of the upholstered wicker couch cushions on the Golden Girls living room set? If it is (and I am by no means knocking it, HUGE fan of Golden Girls, I'm a Blanche!) then I must buy it! I do love the tan leather detailing on this fig-leaf throwback to set furniture in a late '80s sitcom.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Budget Mama said...

Hmmm I don't know on some of those. I think I will go in and ceck them out in person. I do need a new handbag.

Great writing-I always love your posts.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I could totally go for that brown flight tote (at least, that's what I think it's called). I'm in the market for one, since the lining in one of my current tote ripped and important things keep slipping into the abyss.

Julie said...

This is great for the bargain hunters out there. Thanks for the info!

kokostiletto said...

wow i absolutely love that umbrella!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin