Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fashion on a Budget: La Dolce Vita


Writing is my thing, but when I'm not writing, classic films are my obsession. I especially have a soft spot in my heart for classic foreign films, and if you're at all familiar with the genre, then famous Italian director Frederico Fellini is probably one of the first notable names that comes to mind. Fellini had myriad success with a string of films in the 50s and 60s that included what was arguably his cinematic masterpiece: La Dolce Vita. If you haven't viewed it yet, I highly recommend it, but patience is key since the movie is 3 hours long and Fellini's direction and story-telling can seem confusing and scattered at first watch.

For a quick synopsis: "[Playboy] journalist (aka paparazzi) and man-about-town Marcello (played by Italian star Marcello Mastroianni) struggles to find his place in the world, torn between the allure of Rome's elite social scene and the stifling domesticity offered by his girlfriend, all the while searching for a way to become a serious writer." - from IMDB. It's a compelling look at the decadence of excess and sex in a city where some cling to values built on devout Catholic faith while others cling to booze and promiscuity.

Anyway, I've decided to run a string of posts with frugal fashion finds imitating chic fashion seen in film, and my first film pick is one of the classics, La Dolce Vita. For pricing, just click on my outfit creations:

Anita Ekberg (above) as Sylvia, a Hollywood actress visiting in Rome and the object of Marcello's desires. This picture was taken from the famous scene when she wades through the Trevi fountain in the middle of the night.

Sylvia
Sylvia - by BrunetteOnABudget on Polyvore.com

My modern spin on Sylvia's classic ensemble. The dress on the left is Urban Outfitters; the one on the right is Forever 21. Both very affordable. Click on the pictures to check out pricing info.

Turkish/French actress Magali Noel as "Fanny" (above).

Fanny
Fanny - by BrunetteOnABudget on Polyvore.com

H&M dress (above) with red Target pumps and Angie + Lola Target clutch.


French actress Anouk Aimee (above, middle) as Maddalena, with Marcello at her side.

Maddalena
Maddalena - by BrunetteOnABudget on Polyvore.com

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

You know, I have never seen this movie but I'm definitely going to have to get it. I've always wanted to watch it and I like foreign films and the classic clothes.

I really like how you adapted it and modernized the looks on a budget. I'll be tuning in for more! What a great idea.

Budget Mama said...

Great idea! I love this post. And those lil black dresses are cute!

Mrs. Modern Tightwad said...

I love those outfits. You can never go wrong with a little black dress, and there's so many ways to add style. I stumbled on a blog called 'Recycled Runway' and I'm always amazed how much they do with so little.

http://recycledrunway.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Very cute dresses! :-)

Crystal said...

Thanks, guys! Aren't they adorable? All very, very affordable, too, which is a mandatory plus. Bonjour Madame -- you must see the movie. It will make you want to live in 1960s Italy.

Recycled Runway is an interesting concept! I'm intrigued.

Revanche said...

Pockets! That dress has pockets!! (sucker for pockets, obviously)

I might regret encouraging you to take this fashion turn. ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin