Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Would you rather win America's Next Top Model or a Nobel Prize?

A new poll out yesterday sheds a startling light on some women and certain priorities.

Oxygen Media released a new poll surveying 18- to 34-year-old women about outer versus inner beauty and, shockingly enough, 25% of women said they'd rather win the top spot on America's Next Top Model over winning a Nobel Prize. At least it was only a quarter of respondents. I have a gut feeling this 25% doesn't remember how winning ANTM does not guarantee anything except a D-List spot on VH1's "The Surreal Life" (hello, Adrian Curry).

I wonder how this compares to similar survey results taken in past decades like the '50s, '60s and '70s. Though the current 25% is a tad disappointing, I have a feeling that number would have been much higher in the '40s and '50s if women back then were asked if they'd rather win, say, the Miss America pageant over a Nobel. Just sayin'.

What's more interesting in the results is that 25% of women in the Oxygen poll also said they would not be willing to shave their heads to save the life of a stranger. Sad. I wonder if this is the same 25% who have their eye on ANTM's top prize?

3 comments:

Revanche said...

Holy crap. I would totally take the Nobel Prize, are you kidding?

Then again, it would depend on the stranger. You'd have to practically guarantee that it was a good person and not, say, a pedophile. Sorry, but I have my standards for whom I'll depilate.

Emilita said...

To comment on all three of the most recent posts:

--Twenty five percent of respondents would rather win ANTM. I shudder. That show is a guilty pleasure of mine, but up against a Nobel Prize?? Really, if it was a Grammy or an Oscar or a Pulitzer I might understand more, but ANTM...

--Jellies?? I'm going to try to forget that advice.

--I like denim. It's comfortable and durable. I think that dark denim can look polished. It has a time and place, and isn't for every occasion...but wow, I can hardly believe the WSJ paid some guy for his snobby rant about the material, really!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Agreed with Revanche. It'd have to be a guaranteed GOOD person and I'd totally take the Nobel any day..

And put it on my mantle to admire :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin