Monday, March 8, 2010

Overheard last night

2:30 am. Our studio. Pitch black, trying to fall asleep. J sounds like he's beat me to that. Silence. I start drifting off, but then get hit by an amazing idea for a short story. Learned my lesson last time this happened when I didn't write it down and forgot what it was the following morning. Won't ever let that happen again ...

Too lazy to turn on my bedside lamp and grab a pencil and paper, I fumble for my phone on my nightstand. Candles and lip balm and bottles of lotion clatter around in the darkness.
J stirs. Finally, my blind hand feels my cell phone, an old-school slider that I refuse to upgrade. I bring it inches from my face, pull up the "notepad" feature and begin tapping furiously at the buttons. The loud beeps of each letter cut the silence in the studio. Ten minutes of beeping later:

J (slurring sarcastically in his sleep): "What are you doing, writing a novel?"

Me: *beep, beep* "Actually yes, I am."
*beep, beep, beep*

Instead of drifting off again he laughs out loud, turns the light on and hands me a notebook and pen from his side.

Oh, the merits of being married to a budding author.

9 comments:

AuntBT said...

That is the sweetest story, what a sweet husband! Hope the story comes out well!

"Julie" said...

aww that's adorable!!! I have been known to whip out my phone and furiously type at the most RANDOM moments...concerts, restaurants, bars, 4 am drunken conversations, etc....

Anonymous said...

I think it is so sweet when men deal with our "special" moments. :)

Jesse Aizenstat said...

Indeed, "the Edge is still out there."

It's just your job to publish it.

Breadwinner Wife said...

Aw cute story! My husband would be "beeping" on his cell phone looking at espn stories while I tried to go to sleep (he has Internet on his phone but we don't have it at home), so finally I taught him how to turn off the sound when he presses his keys. Haha!

Andi said...

So cute! :)

The Depressed Yogi said...

LOL - I canNOT believe you started typing your story on your old school slider phone!!!

The Michelle Show said...

That is incredibly sweet!

Tracy said...

What a sweet husband you have!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin