Monday, March 22, 2010

One of the most amazing things this year...

...is happening today:


Mad Men Season 3 is coming out on DVD. Contain your excitement (!!!) because I can barely type this blog post without flinging my laptop across the room like a Nerf frisbee and dancing the Mad Hatter's Futterwacken jig right here next to this couch.

More existentialism. More Joan. More Roger Sterling ("You ever get three sheets to the wind and try this thing on?" he asks, pointing to suit of armor in the office). More Peggy and Pete. And the most important thing: More Don Draper. Throw in 13-episodes' worth of Kennedy-era misogyny, a John Deere tractor, a presidential assassination and the start of the Vietnam War, and you've got another brilliantly written season (that yours truly will re-watch and analyze at least three times initially, if we're counting commentary here). If there was one quote to sum up this season, it would be Joan telling Don:
"That's life. One minute you're on top of the world, next minute some secretary's running you over with a lawn mower."
Personally one of my favorite episodes was "The Souvenir," when Don took Betty to a Fellini-style Rome and we watched the spoiled girl that we'd come to know Betty as surprise us as a smart and savvy woman on foreign soil -- the kind of woman she probably was during her modeling career pre-Don:



My other favorite episode? "My Old Kentucky Home," which included this fantastic scene between secretary Joan and ex-secretary Jane, when roles shifted, and the superior and the inferior were reversed. The tension between the two was unnervingly palpable and so well acted (check out Jane's slight eye twitch at 0:18 in response to Joan's cigarette smoke being blown her way):



Anyway, I cannot stop gushing about this show. J likes to tease me about my Mad Men obsession, but I say there's only one way to be a fan of anything: You're either in it all the way or you're not into it at all. ("In it all the way" for me includes tacking the calendar on our kitchen wall, using the theme song as my ringtone, buying mid-century modern furniture, quoting episodes daily, and only drinking Gimlets and Old Fashioneds.)

I feel like I'm walking in tall cotton about this DVD release and I have to ask any viewers out there (without giving too much away): What were your favorite episodes or scenes from Season 3? Did any characters surprise or disappoint you? How did you react to Sal's...problem...at work? Did you cringe at Roger on stage at the country club? Better yet: What did you think of Betty's decision in the finale and what did you think of Don's confession? I'm dying to know...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really odd, but while I agree that it's one of those shows that you are either hot or cold on, we're in the middle somehow! We watch it and look forward to every episode while it's on, but then it's over and we forget it ever existed, except if someone mentions it we'll say what a great show it is. We're weird. I love Betty. I can't help myself. I loved The Souvenier, too, but I am not on board this whole divorce thing for some reason!

Carrie said...

Call me crazy, but I'm a huge Don + Betty fan. I was so disappointed when they seperated at the end. I mean come ON! Don Draper is sooooooo much hotter than that politician! What were you thinking Betty??? Okay, so he's not the best husband, but when he's there, he's great and what makes you think Mr. politician will be any different?

You know who I really dislike, but I think will grow on me next year? Pete. Pete has always rubbed me the wrong way, but I think at the new start-up, he'll turn over a new leaf.

I looooooooooove Peggy. Even more, I love Peggy and Don's relationship. Some of the best moments of the series are between those two. My fav was when Don came to see her in the hospital when she left after having Pete's baby. Oh, how I would love to wake up to Don's face... LOL

I am really, really looking foward to the new company they're starting. I was getting a little tired of the old Sterling Cooper....can't wait to see what kind of shenanigans go on in that hotel suite.

When does season 4 start?!?!?! Ahhhh

Stephanie said...

I share your obsession! My favorite episode was the riding lawnmower for shock value alone. I should not laugh at the words "Iwo Jima" from now on, but I do.....hysterically. After that the Rome episode and really the finale. I love that they've gotten back to basics and are starting over. I wish Sal was still on the show but all of the supporting people were getting to steal way too much airtime for me. Give me Don and Roger any day.

Anonymous said...

I want to marry Don Draper. Too bad the new season won't start for a few more months:(

Laura said...

i love Mad Men! I'm so excited for Season 4... Do you think Betty will leave Don? I love Betty too, I just want her to be happy, but I also love Don and think he just got in over his head. Summer is almost here!!

Laura

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=1054282488608461661

Blog Widget by LinkWithin