Thursday, April 29, 2010

Some bad news

So my 96-year-old grandmother is not doing well.

She was rushed to the hospital two nights ago because she wasn't breathing properly and my fam in Santa Cruz got a call at 5am yesterday from my aunt saying they should come up asap to the hospital because of how severe the situation was. As of right now my grandmother is on an intubator at UC Davis hospital and all of my family is with her, except me.

I am here, 3,000 miles away. (Insert anger slash frustration slash guilt slash indescribable feelings of resentment toward J at the moment that he didn't just go to UC Berkeley or Stanford and we had to move so far away for so long, making it impossible for me to just hop in a car and drive a couple hours up the state to be at her bedside for her final moments.)

J and I are taking the next plane out of here today and flying into Sacramento to be with my family over the weekend and attend the funeral. Unfortunately J's finals start Tuesday, but he can continue studying on the plane today and Sunday because there are more important things than...well...law school.

I'll be MIA from blogging for the next few days, but I'll be back soon.

18 comments:

Linda said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I am going through something similar, although I am lucky enough to live close to my family. When things go wrong like this it is impossible to think of anything else.
All the best to your family.

Anonymous said...

Safe travels.

Akirah said...

I am sorry to read this news. I understand your pain; I recently learned a cousin of mine passed away this week. He was a great man who meant a lot to my family, and unfortunately, I'm miles away, unable to attend the funeral. I am glad you will be able to lean on family during this difficult time. I pray you find comfort as well.

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, it will be nice for you to be by her side as well as to have J there as your support system. My thoughts are with you and your family Crystal. xoxo.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I totally feel your pain. We're still close enough to family, but it's so hard to face a family crisis during finals. Take care of your family and take care of yourself.

Scott said...

I'm so sorry. Hopefully she'll hang on until you can get there, but either way, she knows you love her and are doing your best to get there. I'm sure your family has told her you're on the way. She knows, and she already knew because she knows you're that kind of grandaughter who would rush to be there, and that's what matters.

Maritza said...

I'm truly sorry to hear that, Crystal. It sucks to be in that situation. =( I've been through it before, so I can understand. My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope you have a safe trip.

me in millions said...

So sorry to hear this sad news. I'm glad you and your family will be together.

COL said...

HUGS! I'll be saying prayers for you and your family!

Chelsea said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

SurferWife said...

Oh NO! HOw hard for you to be far away right now. I hope for the best for you and Grandma.

Andi said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandma. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

HUGS!

dors said...

my mom always told me: never feel guilty, guilt does no good and makes you sick.
i'm wishing you and your family the very best. x

Mandy said...

Oh I'm so sorry! How heart wrenching and guilt stricken you must feel right now! I'm sending virtual hugs in your direction now. I'll be thinking of you.

The Depressed Yogi said...

Sending all my love and prayers to you and your family. xoxoxoxoxoxo

Revanche said...

Very very sorry, darling. Grandmothers are precious.

Crystal said...

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and support. My grandmother passed on three hours before my plane landed in California, but I'm glad that I got to attend the funeral on Saturday and I felt closure mourning with my close family and extended relatives. My grandma was a fighter up until the very end and she'll be missed very dearly.

AuntBT said...

So sorry, I'm glad you were to fly out even with J's finals. Hugs being sent your way!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin