Monday, August 23, 2010

Some "totally awesome" news

Guess who just bought a car!

Me!!

J and I have been looking at cars for the past month and decided our favorite car within our price range was a 2003-04 C-series Mercedes Benz. (Jon Hamm being the official voice of the brand played no part in my decision. I swear.) We were going to take our time looking for the right one when J emailed me at work last Thursday, telling me our little Hyundai wasn’t going to pass smog this month because…it needed a new cat converter (wah wahhhh). Since the Hyundai was always supposed to be a temporary car and we had paid so little in cash for it nearly four years ago, we decided to nix dumping money into it and instead upgrade our lives.

So we did that Thursday night after I got off work:




It went down something like this on Thursday:

5:00 pm: Leave work
5:05 pm: J picks me up at the curb. (Curb-side service. Score.)
5:25 pm: Test driving our Benz.
5:45 pm: Going over price/technicals with dealer. Bargained down $2,000.
6:05 pm: Signing paperwork
6:06 pm: Freaking out.
6:35 pm: Leaving dealership to Black Eyed Peas on the radio.

I named it Andiamo, because it purrs down the freeway at 80. And it’s shiny. So shiny. I love how shiny it is. It makes me want to rub it gingerly with a diaper and sing songs to it in a Barry White voice. In the words of Lester Burnham (he, of American Beauty fame): “It’s the car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!”



I never thought back in April that my financial life would be so different mere months later, but it still hasn’t sunken in that it’s mine. Sitting there, surrounded by leather, I can’t help but feel that I’m sitting in a corporate rental car or something, mine only for the weekend till I have to hand in the keys and fly home. But it’s not a rental. It’s mine. And I’m already home.

Some people wonder why, in the last year and a half, I worked hard saving. Obvi it was because with no incoming salary and the little part-time work I had not amounting to much, my savings had to stretch. Which was expected and completely fine, leaving my job to write was THE best decision of my life. In the words of Madonna, “Absolutely. No. Regrets.” *said with a deadpan expression while wearing ostentatious sequined leotard and clutching disco-inspired horse-riding whip*

Sure the compromise was inevitably going to be scrimping, but it was a small price to pay. Andiamo was worth it. I paid almost entirely cash for the car and it felt so fulfilling driving off the lot, truly owning something of value. The feeling is so different than the quick high I used to get from buying a few nice dresses from Banana. This purchase, in contrast, feels like an actual reward for all that time I spent budgeting and saving. It's like that scene in Almost Famous when Stillwater upgrades from their broken down old bus and heads down the tarmac to board their shiny new plane.

Next big purchase: A house. Probs within two years, but we’ll see. In the meantime I’ve become one of those people who looms outside of your friendly neighborhood Safeway in front of the real estate publication racks, flipping through house catalogues and carting home dozens at a time.

13 comments:

paisley penguin said...

Congrats. Andiamo is beautiful! I have been looking at houses too. Might upgrade the condo to a house sooner than expected, We shall see,

COL said...

WAY TO GO!!!! It's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

CameronPoe2409 said...

Wow, Andiamo is fabulous, congratulations!

Andi said...

Love it! The color is gorgeous to boot!

tina said...

Congrats on the new car--Andiamo is beautiful!!!

saving.sof said...

Congratulations on the new car! It's always nice to be riding in something as sweet as your benz. It's a good looking car!

Serendipity said...

Congrats on the new car and more congrats on being able to pay for it in cash!

Legally Married said...

Bellisima!

Great job with the saving - it feels good to make a big purchase like that without the big debt hanging over you! :)

The Depressed Yogi said...

WELL DONE, lady!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet ride! I'm sure you look just radiatn in Andiamo. I would love one in my future too. However, I see the Range Rover or an Escalade soon. :)

Natalina said...

Now girl......THAT is a car with a capital C! Congratulations! Andiamo....how apropiate ;)!

I have had a few changes going on to lately, mostly I'm confused and a bit chaotic hahaha!

I have changed my link, it is:
http://natalinasblog.blogspot.com/

Would love if you followed me on the new domain :) But no stress ofcourse!

Abbracci!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on saving and treating yourself like the queen you are!

Patty :)

Amanda said...

I. Am. SO. Jealous.

Buying a Mercedes is #2 on my list after getting my own lake cabin & boat. My priorities might be off but that's ok haha.

CONGRATS GIRL!!!! XOXO

Blog Widget by LinkWithin