Monday, March 19, 2012

There's something in my bed...

"Don't mind me, I'm just cuddling with my Snoogle," I told J a few days ago after we arrived home from BuyBuyBaby with my newest purchase in hand. After unwrapping the thing, it was love at first hug. The Snoogle is one of those total body pregnancy pillow things that looks more like a prop from a Gwar concert than an actual pillow:


Scary, right? But desperate times call for desperate measures. At this point I'm no no longer supposed to "lie on my back," since doing so supposedly cuts off nutrients and other things to Peanut by compressing my "vena cava" (whatever that is), according to my maternity book/bible Your Pregnancy: Week-by-Week. So, in order to avoid waking up on my back in the middle of the night and freaking out over visuals that Peanut is somehow suffocating in my tummy, one little unformed hand on its throat with the other unformed hand helplessly clutching out into the murky depths of my womb for help, I opted to rely on a Snoogle to do all the propping up for me.

The pillow comes with no directions, just a few pictures on the packaging that show you just how versatile it is:


And the first night was bliss. I assumed you were supposed to loop that curly-q end between your knees with your back snuggled in against the pillow, which I did and it was fabulous. I woke up feeling great, and not minding so much that I spent the entire night sleeping on my side. Then night two rolled around.

Sure, the thing was a little awkward to use at first since the hooked end more wants to poke you in the butt than it does want to stay between your legs, but the worst is turning on to your other side to bear hug the thing. This entails you un-entwining your legs from the massive hook between them, which promptly begins poking at your crotch as you try to flip over to face the Snoogle. After a few nights of this I finally understood what it must feel like to wrestle with a jellyfish, albeit under a down comforter and while I'm wearing flannel chihuahua print pajama pants (both not conducive to easy-flipping-over action).

Like a once-exciting fling who now bored me, the Snoogle seemed to have outlived its welcome in my bed. I had just started taking to propping myself up against J when I did some research online yesterday and realized that I was approaching the Snoogle all wrong -- I had been using it upside down the entire time. No wonder it never felt right; I had been outsmarted by a tube of polyester. When I realized how to use the pillow right I couldn't help but think of the opening scene of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but instead of throwing a bone high into the air in slow motion, the Snoogle would be hurled up in its place.

Anyway, hopefully now I'll get a proper night's sleep, since the old back is starting to hurt the and the bump is beginning to show as I'm about to hit the halfway point in this pregnancy!

3 comments:

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

I'm kind of surprised there wasn't instructions included! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. :)

Mandy said...

That is so funny that you're posting about this. My husband calls it the third wheel, third person in our bed and also the other man in my life since I cuddle with mine more than I do with him! LOL! Yes, I have almost the exact same kind as you and this is my second go-round at this lovely cushion. My hubby hated it during my first pregnancy too! :-) Oh well, it comes in handy and the bigger you get, the more you need something between those legs besides the thing that put you in this predicament in the first place, hee hee! ;-) I remember wanting to use it even after I had Vivian, my first child. We'll see how I feel this second time.... just five more weeks to go for me!

Enjoy your snuggle and do what makes you feel comfy. Although mine may make me sweat, get me hot and rub up against me inappropriately, I still keep it around and haven't threatened sexual harassment yet. After all, he/it lets me get some sleep! :-)

Hope you are well and feeling good! Pregnancy and motherhood is life changing and I can't wait to see your stories unfold. Be sure you write letters to your unborn child and after that when the mood strikes you. I've been doing that for my daughter as I know it's something she'll appreciate later in life.

All the best to you,
Mandy

www.mandylifeafter30.com

Karin said...

I just bought a full U-shaped one! I took a nap this afternoon -- currently on vacation -- and it was A.MAZE.ING. I am only 9 weeks but need to train myself to sleep on my left side instead of my stomach!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin