Thursday, September 10, 2009

Waiting to exhale


Oy, and the waiting begins.

It sounds like my husband's interview on Friday went fabulously. He met with five lawyers at the firm (two partners, three associates) and they all seemed to like the fact that he's been exposed to real-world practice during his time in law school, which would make his transition into full-time litigation easier. (Hoofing it at all those extra internships with judges and pro-bono efforts hopefully paid off.)

Now all we can do is wait to hear back from them ... and it's KILLING us!! Typically you're supposed to hear back within two weeks, so it's still early, but with every passing business day (three so far) I'm secretly getting more and more disheartened, even though I'm not showing it. I'm an impatient person, and I expect answers right away, but I guess this is a good test for me. After all, it's not like they were going to give him an answer on the spot and in-person (although that's what I expected at MY interview for my last job, and subsequently sat in the throes of agony until I got offered the job two weeks later). So reminder to self: Patience, grasshopper.

The best thing I can do for him and us is stay positive and optimistic about our future, with or without this Newport job. I'm lucky to be married to a guy who is more than positive and supportive of my career decisions (he says that he can't wait to someday say he's married to a novelist -- haha), so the least I can do is stay positive for him too, even though I'm scared.

My dad pointed out the other day on the phone that it's not the end of the world if my husband doesn't land this job, and I know it isn't. But he deserves it just as much if not more than most, what with his background and steely work ethic, and I hope he gets rewarded for the hard labor he's put in to his career.

To make him laugh and cheer him on during the wait, I ordered "The OC: Season 1" off Amazon ($6 total used!) and we had a back-to-back marathon all Sunday and Monday. I've always been a big fan of the "The OC", and thought now was the perfect excuse to educate my husband in the ways of Newport Beach and Marissa Cooper, since he'd never even seen one. flipping. episode. (Yeah, I know.) I'm happy to report that he loves the show (good man), and Season 2 has been ordered and on its way. Let's just hope all those hours of prime-time drama were for naught!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm right there with you ~ I'm so impatient and HATE waiting!! Three days seems like an eternity when it can alter your existence.

I will keep my fingers, toes and legs crossed for you that good news is on the way and the only hold up is typical HR red tape crap.

I've never watched The OC. It's pathetic but our TV time is stuck on Sesame Street and other toddler-friendly shows. Blah!

Virtual hugs to you and maybe now that you've put this post out there, the call will come in very soon! :-)

Emilita said...

Good luck to him! I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news. :)

Janine / Being Brazen said...

I lived in OC for 3 years.

Hope he gets the jobs - but if he doesnt im sure there is something way better out there for him.

Have a fab weekend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin