Saturday, September 19, 2009

No more pouting

After I dropped J off at school I had a good cry yesterday and vowed to not be sad about this whole shiteous debacle anymore. The way I look at it is if Britney Spears can overcome two failed marriages, a drug problem, temporarily losing custody of her children, gaining a bunch of weight, shaving her head and maniacally attacking paparazzi with the butt of an umbrella while still emerging as a well-respected pop star, well, then I can certainly pull myself out of the doldrums handed to me by a pathetic little law firm passing on my brilliant J.

My decision to shrug off the bad news was based on one question: WWJD? If you're thinking "What Would Jesus Do", um, no. I don't swing that way. More like:

What would Jackie do?

What would Johnny do?

What would James do?

Yes, I look up to all these people for different reasons, be they fictional characters or otherwise. They are the trifecta of cool. Each one overcame their obstacles (hello? I'd like to see you escape from being pinned to a table with a deadly laser inching toward your crotch) and did so with class and style.

But, I suppose the real overarching question here that I've been unwittingly avoiding is: What would Don Draper do?


I'll tell you what he'd do. He'd sit and brood alone with a cigarette and a glass of scotch at the end of a smoke-filled bar, and think things like:
"Advertising is based on one thing: Happiness. And you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car… It’s freedom from fear. It’s a billboard on the side of the road that screams with reassurance that whatever you’re doing is okay. You are okay."
or
"Mourning is just extended self-pity. In New Guinea, pygmies grind up their ancestors and drink the powder in a beer."
(Quotes are both from season 1.) Then he'd finish his scotch, light another Lucky Strike cigarette and be over it. Damn, that guy is smooth.

So I took Don's approach to it and simply reminded myself that J and I are a young, educated couple who are resilient and can prevail over any curveball thrown our way. There will be many rejections for both of us in our lives, and that's okay. It's not the end of the world. Is anything, really? (Besides being homeless, hungry and slowly dying of throat cancer, like a man my dad told me he saw the other day?) So yeah, rejection sucks, but it's a part of life. I suppose if we never got rejected, we'd never know how fulfilling it is to finally attain success. And like Don said, mourning is just extended self-pity...

13 comments:

paisley penguin said...

Jackie and 007 are two of my faves too! Let's hope no one is subjected to a laser pointed at their crotch! Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Brilliant!

No kidding, a character in my wip walks around asking himself "What would James Dean do."

Money Dieter said...

Stay positive! We are a young couple also and am working towards so many things in our life...it's just that I hate the "working and waiting" part. Just get me there already!

The Depressed Yogi said...

Good for you, Crystal!!!

Unknown said...

You are right it is not the end of the world...but it sure feels like it sometimes :) I keep telling myself the same thing: we are young and educated and ALMOST really successful! Ugh, I understand your frustration.

Janine / Being Brazen said...

keep that positive outlook and have a glass of scotch :)

Im sure better things are coming along

Mandy said...

Love it! I'm glad you found some inspiration in your WWJD characters. Those are definitely some of my faves!

If you grow tired of those, though, here are a few more for you to consider:

What Would J-Lo Do? (Shake that fly girl booty of course!)

What Would Jimmy Kimmel Do? (Get back at Sarah Silverman with an even funnier spoof video!)

What Would Jennie Garth Do? (Steal Brenda's boyfriend Dylan)

What Would Johnny Depp Do? (Put on drag clothing and prance around like a pirate!)

See, there are soooo many characters you can look up to! I'm glad to hear your sorrows are over. I'd much rather see you happy and hopeful. Hugs!

Ashley said...

Love your blog, Crystal. And the Don Draper quotes. Cheer up buttercup - you're in store for bigger, better things.

Penny said...

I think it would very interesting to see what James would do....lol

I'm glad you're mentally turning things around. We all need our moment to get out all those negative emotions but then after that's done; it's important to face the world again and to fight for everything that is worth wild.

EMH said...

What would Jackie do? I love it.

Chelsea said...

Love the reference to Jackie. Can't ever get enough of her. I know it's frustrating but I am sure things will get better. Stay strong. Soon enough you'll be out of DC. Something good will come along, I'm sure of it.

But on the days when it seems frustrating and overwhelming and you just can't take it anymore, put on your favorite LBD, a pair of your biggest sunglasses, a fabulous pair of heels and with a mojito in hand put in your favorite episode of Mad Men, and I promise, everything will be alright.

Chelsea said...

Love the reference to Jackie. Can't ever get enough of her. I know it's frustrating but I am sure things will get better. Stay strong. Soon enough you'll be out of DC. Something good will come along, I'm sure of it.

But on the days when it seems frustrating and overwhelming and you just can't take it anymore, put on your favorite LBD, a pair of your biggest sunglasses, a fabulous pair of heels and with a mojito in hand put in your favorite episode of Mad Men, and I promise, everything will be alright.

Jeanne Estridge said...

Just started a new writing class. The teacher, Katrina Kittle, (who's 4th book will be out next year - yay!) said it was helpful to her as a writer that she danced and did theater when she was younger -- all the rejection she received prepared her for being a writer.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin