Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Everybody Wang-Chung tonight

"My favorite color is magenta." -- Valley Girl, best '80s movie of all time

So good news -- I got offered a freelance writing gig! This is amahzing (per Rachel Zoe), and lit.rully couldn't come at a better time. Lately J and I have given new meaning to the words "frugal living." Quite embarrassing, some of the lengths we've gone to recently, but he made me promise to never mention nor blog about our little escapades, and so they shall go unnamed. Sometimes we don't know whether to laugh or cry in the throes of our absurdity. Thankfully we can still laugh.

I don't want to reveal who I'll be freelancing for yet, but it's a news site for stock market investors, which means I'll be writing financial news articles, profiling publicly-traded companies, the broader stock market, etc. It basically sounds exactly like what I was writing on at my last job, except this time I'll be able to do all my writing in my fluffy pink bathrobe at home. Score.

My contact there is a good friend, and he also made it sound like they might have a need for a freelance editor soon. Double score. It's nothing close to what I was making at the job I left, but it's more than what most publications pay nowadays for "latest headline" articles and, well, money is money, right?

So, pros to taking the job:
  • Don't have to deal with annoying co-workers in an office. Oh there were a few gems I worked with at my last job, but most irritated the hell out of me...and the rest of my office. Back then I savored in the days when I could telecommute and not deal with the petty office drama.
  • I can take the work as I want it and not for eight fixed hours per day (which I wouldn't do anyway, as financial news writing is not a priority right now).
  • Will keep my portfolio updated with current clips.
  • Did I mention the fuzzy pink bathrobe? Yeah, it's even more appealing when it's pouring/snowing outside and I get to watch everyone else trudge to the apartment shuttle on their way to work. Muwahaha.
Cons:
  • I love following the stock market, and I love investing in stocks. Sometimes, though, writing about finance can get a little stale (especially if mutual funds are involved). At my last job I was given lots of artistic license to be as creative as I wanted in my writing, but I'm not sure if they'll like that at this new gig. Then again, we need money. Bad. I think I can throw my qualms out the window for some pocket change. At least it's still writing and I get a byline, and not, say, ghostwriting/marketing/PR, which is what my last position quickly turned into.
You heard it here first. Now go celebrate and Wang-Chung for me.

13 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Congratulations darling! xo

Tami said...

congrats on getting more income!! :D
yay!!

Nicole said...

Congrats!

Penny said...

Congratulations!

Tania Asnes said...

Congratulations! By the way, you should tell J there's nothing shameful about making ends meet. It's what people worldwide do every day of their lives :)

myprettypennies said...

Woohoo! That is great news! Nothing like working in a fluffy pink robe. It's too bad you can't disclose the funny embarrassing frugal moments you've had lately because I for one always enjoy those. Continue to laugh through it all though!

Chelsea said...

Congrats lovie! I am so, so happy for you...and your pink bathrobe.

Kim said...

Congrats on the gig! That's great news.

paisley penguin said...

Congratulations! :)

The Depressed Yogi said...

CONGRATULATIONS, darling!!!

I am tres impressed you follow stocks, etc... all that stuff confuses the heck out of me. Sad thing is - I do Securities law now!

Mandy said...

Wow, you go girl (snap, snap like the former In Living Color Men on Film sketches)! I hope some of your good luck rubs off on me. I'd LOVE to get a freelance writing gig here. Send some of your fairy dust my way, will ya!?

p.s. - what are stocks? is that like what you do when you pile up toilet paper and cans of soup in the cupboards?

Investing 101 For Dummies said...

Mandy had me smiling with the In Living Color reference!

Congratulations on your gig! Being able to work from home is priceless.

Unknown said...

Congrats! I'm totally jealous.

Also, love the Valley Girl pic. Nicolas Cage was never hotter than he was in that movie!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin