Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gobble, gobble...

While our turkey is cooking and I'm enjoying a James Bond marathon on SciFi, eggnog and rum in hand, I wanted to wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays besides Valentine's Day (yes Valentine's Day) and this year it's even more special since it'll be the last one I'll have to spend in Washington DC! (Insert uproarious applause here.) I suppose it's too early to reflect on 2009 just yet -- that sort of thing comes with New Year's -- but in the spirit of cliche here's what I'm thankful for:
  • Even through the hard times J and I can still laugh, at ourselves and at each other.
  • My family, friends, Lola and MoneyPenny.
  • That I'm healthy and all the people I care about are healthy too. (Well, except for my good friend John, who contracted a gnarly jungle parasite on a recent hike to some hallowed waterfall in Hawaii, but he's on a penicillin regiment now so no worries. He won't become a Discovery Channel statistic after all.)
  • Lou "The Dentures" Dobbs finally left CNN, and hopefully television for good. Immigrants everywhere (legal or otherwise) breath a collective sigh of relief.
  • Chipotle.
  • That J wakes up to make me cappuccinos and breakfast on the weekends.
  • I won Nanowrimo. (w00t!)
  • That Facebook finally lets you hide those annoying girls from high school certain peoples' updates so you don't have to hear about how they're pregnant again with their second/third kid, or how cute it is when their baby burps/sleeps/walks/crawls/takes a poo. The sad truth is I never cared about you back then, and therefore could care even less about your baby's current bowel movements.
  • That my sister graduated college and is back up in the Bay Area -- for good. Also that my bro is considering staying in the area for college. Love them. Us three musketeers together are a force to be reckoned with.
  • That even though money has been incredibly tight these last few months, and sometimes the idea of it gets me down, most of the time it's an afterthought. I'm writing everyday and for me that's enough. (Although owning a villa in Tuscany and/or a vintage 1963 230SL convertible Mercedes does have its perks...)
  • The dollar menu at McDonald's. For those few times a month when we treat ourselves out to a night on the town.
I'm curious: What are you thankful for this year?

5 comments:

Andi said...

What a great list! (Not to mention, I love James Bond!) Let's see, I am thankful for...

My awesome BF for encouraging me to follow my dreams, even though it means we will be strapped for cash for several years. :)

My friends and family who also support me by being my personal cheerleaders.

My dog, Paczki, who can make any rainy day shine.

Black coffee, red wine, and dark chocolate.

The opportunity to travel so much this year, which is weird because I've been unemployed for most of it.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Love your list :)

I am thankful that I have almost completed my first novel. I'm thankful for my husband and dog and healthy, happy family. And for my blog and all of the awesome blogs that I read! Happy Thanksgiving :)

Mandy said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We watched that James Bond marathon too and made fun of all those other dudes who don't compare to Sir Sean Connery.

I'm grateful for new friends like you in my life, not to mention my wonderful new home and life here in Florida. Your time will come and soon you and J will be "home" again. And it will be so friggin' sweet and wonderful. Trust me!

Kim said...

This is a great list. I especially love the Lou Dobbs one.

The Depressed Yogi said...

Omg could not agree with you MORE on the annoying facebook thing. So annoying. It's pretty much why i don't get on facebook. Must figure out the hide option...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin