Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween in NYC, or How I spent more money than I should have and stopped worrying about it (at least for the weekend)

Did someone lose a button? Anyone?

Got back from Manhattan on Sunday night and had a fabulous time. Since I'm on a NaNoWriMo kick and don't have a lot of time to post, here's a rundown of what we saw/did:
  • Times Square
  • Empire State building - There was nothing more I wanted than to kiss J at the top of the Empire State building. So many countless movies and films have captured the top of this hallowed building so perfectly. Remember that I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ethel pretend to be aliens up there to scare tourists? Or An Affair to Remember when Deborah Kerr is supposed to meet Cary Grant at the top? I'm not even going to mention Sleepless in Seattle. Anyway, it turns out it's $40/person to enjoy the view. Pass! I kissed him in front of the entrance instead for free. There will be many more opportunities to go to the top when we aren't sacrificing grocery money to do so.
  • Bryant Park
  • Les Halles - The French restaurant Tony Bourdain was head chef at for years before his No Reservations fame. *Heart flutters* Love him. To me he will always bear an uncanny resemblance to Marcello Mastroianni. Well, a very tan Marcello. With many more wrinkles. And a former heroin addiction. Moving on ...
  • Rockafeller Center
  • Had a pumpkin spice latte at the giant Macy's on 34th Street
  • Madison Avenue - No Don Draper sighting. Sigh. I'm such a tourist.
  • New York Public Library - Me with camera in hand: "Suh-weeet. Do you remember the scene in The Day After Tomorrow where the wave came crashing down the street toward the front of this very marble lobby?" J: "No, but I'm sure once we get home you will find the DVD and show me." Me: "Wow, you know me all too well, my love. All too well..."
  • Dinner at Momofuku in Greenwich Village on Friday night - Tres expensive -- dinner for five was over $200 and $12 cocktails did abound -- but the food was excellent. Have you ever had fried Brussels sprouts in fish sauce vinaigrette, mint and delfino? Didn't think so.
  • World Trade Center ground zero - It goes without saying it was a sad 10 minutes we spent here, but on the upside a man with a Guatemalan flute was playing an instrumental rendition of the BeeGees' "More than a Woman" across the street. Score.
  • Chinatown - We were looking for good Chinese food and Panda Express has just not been cutting it lately (I don't care how good their orange chicken is). We found what we were looking for in this little hole-in-the-wall noodle place just off Canal St. I had sweet and sour chicken with wantons in noodle soup. I don't think I need to even point out that it was amazing.
  • Halloween in Soho - My friends and I went to three separate parties for a night of general debauchery.
  • NY Marathon in Central Park - Hot damn, those people (to quote the unnamed man in the cafe who sees Forrest Gump run by after his leg brace falls off) were "running fools." I was highly impressed. We had a prime view near the 24-mile mark. If I ever made it to 24 miles (I'm laughing out loud at the hilarious absurdity of that scenario) I would definitely be puking up a lung. Or two.
  • The Met
Oh and I took a picture or a hundred:

Me in Times Square. I felt like I was in the opening credits of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, except there was no twirling or hat throwing.

"I'm a little concerned but...make it work."

My friends' adorable dog Frank. And his lip.

"Exits are located on either end of the aircraft."

Ah, there's my pilot.

Me, J and my good friend Sedona riding the subway. The whole time I was in NYC I didn't touch one subway pole. Instead, I clinged to J's arm as he held on the for the both of us.

This cup. No words except where I can buy a lifetime supply?

Being all artsy at the Met.

J at the Dupont Circle metro stop on our way back home.

For only being there a total of 2 days and 2 nights I would say we saw the bulk of what NYC had to offer. Wish we had more time (and more money!) but we'll definitely visit many times in our life. It is the inspiration for Mad Men, after all. I mean, c'mon.

22 comments:

Tami said...

awww, don't you both look so cute!! :)

Janine / Being Brazen said...

Love yours and your mans costumes - very cute.

:)

savvycityfarmer said...

hi there...nice to meet you ...I've been reading along, but now get to comment..

Your trip looks divine ... and oh, we have a grandog like yours named Delilah ...her is so sweeet ( we talk baby talk to her)

myprettypennies said...

Aw! Cute pictures and fabulous costumes. Did you take the bus from DC to NYC? I have done that a lot and makes traveling up there so much cheaper.

Penny said...

Ha! So cool you had a great time:)

Unknown said...

I Love NYC! The art, the food, the shopping...of course! It is all fantastic. Well, except for the subway poles....I never touch either and if I do it is with glove covered hands :) Glad you had a great time!

Oh, and you looked fantastic!

Chelsea said...

Looks like you had a FABulous weekend. You did so much with the little time you had. Thanks for sharing. I've only been to New York once and it was for 18 hours. I stayed at my cousins while waiting for my flight to Geneva. What a wonderful city. I do hope to spend more time there someday.

Elena said...

Isn't Halloween in NYC the best? Literally everyone dresses up. The Pan Am flight attendant was a great idea.

Nicole said...

It looks like you had a great time. Everytime I go on vacation, I fantasize about how it will be so much better the next time when I actually have money.

And the costume looks great! Excellent work.

Kim said...

NYC is so much fun and filled with so much to do.

Love the costume. LOVE it.

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) said...

Oh my.

First of all $40 to go up a building is ridic - so glad you opted out of that.

Secondly, that cup is AMAZING and for a split second I thought it was actually your nose, so you got me there. I actually laughed out loud at work and then got embarassed.

Thirdly you both look adorable in your costumes & I can't believe how crafty you are.

charkstudios said...

Love NYC! Did not go into the empire state building yet though...always meaning to. Went to Madame Tussant's wax museum and got a picture beside every stiff celebrity. No, there were no live ones like they have a habit of doing recently to scare people!

You two look great! Hope you had a good time. Sure looks like it.

paisley penguin said...

Awesome! Love the cup and your costume turned out great!

Anthony Bourdaine - there are no words...

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Sounds like a great trip- loved your costume!

Andi said...

How fun!! Your costumes were great!

I love NYC, and can't wait to go back. (It's been about 10 years) I am also planning on kissing my "J" at the top of the Empire State Building!

Of course, I will do this along with having "breakfast at Tiffany's" in a black evening gown and tiara. :)

Ah...NYC is just so romantic!

Merveilleux said...

http://www.amazon.com/Fred-12-Ounce-Pick-Your-Paper/dp/B000V6OKA4

There you go!

Looks like you had a great time. Going to the top of the Empire State Building is definitely a must when you're able to.

Mandy said...

Well that just looks like WAY TOO MUCH fun! Good for you and J! Where can I purchase that cup too!? ;-)

The Depressed Yogi said...

I still cannot believe you made your own hat! Fantastic!! You look gorgeous as always. xoxo

Amanda said...

hahaha that cup is the most amazing thing i have seen in awhile!

sfordinarygirl said...

I love your style - it's classic, functional and hip. Where'd you get the trench and shoes if you don't mind me asking?

Crystal said...

Thanks!! My trench is Michael Kors - I got it at Nordstrom Rack. My boots I bought at a boutique in Buenos Aires. :)

Anonymous said...

It's only $19 per person to go the observation deck at the Empire State Building, not cheap I agree but not quite as expensive as you mentioned. If you come back to the city (in which I live) try Top of the Rock, beautiful views, less expensive and crowded and totally kiss worthy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin