Monday, February 23, 2009

No more Netflix via your mailbox?

When I'm having a bad day, nothing cheers me up more -- retail therapy aside, of course -- than popping open my apartment mailbox and finding a shiny, bright red Netflix envelope waiting for me to rip open and enjoy. But what would I, and thousands of others who might have also had a bad day, do if those fabulous morsels of cinematic delight stop frequenting our mailboxes cold turkey?

Though the red envelope may soon be a way of the past, it doesn't mean Netflix will be abandoning you at least in the next year (sorry, Blockbuster). According to reports from CNBC today, Netflix is considering a service which only delivers movies and television shows through Internet streaming, skipping its traditional mail-order business. Well that's all fine and dandy, but what about those who don't like watching all movies on their laptops? I was fortunate enough recently to buy a giant flat-screen tv (complete with the appropriate laptop hookups) with a Christmas gift card from work, but I know what it's like to own an older boat anchor of a television that only connects to a.) the wall, and/or b.) a dvd player.

Obvi there are pros and cons to this situation, like Netflix will have to spend $70 in IT infrastructure changes to get the plan implemented, but will save a ton of money on shipping, envelopes, dvds, etc. But what about my personal satisfaction of tearing open a familiar envelope and inspecting my (borrowed) treasure inside? At this point, to only offer Internet-streaming Netflix movies is widespread speculation, but Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has said little to ease my concerns. And speculation of this variety tends to end up being true. Look at the Brad and Angelina rumors during the filming of Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I know, I know, this is the way of the future. Nothing needs to be on paper, dvd, or disc anymore, but I like having something tangible -- a book...newspaper...dvd....abacus..... Sigh, I am officially old. [CNBC.com]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are not old...forever young ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin