Tuesday, April 14, 2009

1952 called...

There I was, in a fog of Travel Channel haze on a lazy Sunday afternoon, in my fourth Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations episode of the day and about to flip off the telly to do something, well, actually productive, when Anthony meandered into a Swedish store after his obligatory chowing down of a local, streetside hotdog. It was in the store, when he picked up the retro cell phone handset above, that I finally knew what I absolutely had to have for my birthday!!

After looking it up online, I showed Love this amazing invention, and (being true to his title of being married to an "insane" person) he laughed and dismissed it as me just liking what Anthony Bourdain likes. To be fair, though, Anthony did make fun of this handset, and I'm fully aware of how ridiculous it would look to see a girl like moi chatting on a retro handset while waiting for my apartment shuttle, but it wouldn't be the first time I call attention to myself in slightly off ways (we won't go there.) I love it!! It's got a healthy kitsch factor, and I'm all about the retro vibe. Plus, bluetooths et. al. are so boring. With this I can pretend daily that I'm in some 1940s film noir, making secret plans to meet up with Humphrey Bogart in a wayward gin joint in Morocco...or I could just be chatting on the celly, reminding Love to pick up avocados from Costco. Either way.

If you're at all intrigued by this "big hunk of beautiful plastic", click on over to ThinkGeek, where they describe it "as something with that good-old-American solid construction feel - like a 1972 Cadillac."

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin