Thursday, April 30, 2009

The new "it" fabric? Burlap.


Yup, burlap. As in the material that potato sacks are made of.

Call it a sign of the times, or "recession chic" or what have you, but for those who thought burlap was only relegated to Depression-era farm children swathed in coarse, itchy togas, think again. Burlap is back in a big way -- and not only that, if designer goods are your modus operandi, be prepared to spend big.

How big? Try about $1,400 for the Miu Miu burlap ensemble (above), complete with pink streak of spray paint, of course. I think the streak lends a certain je ne sais quoi, don't you? Or this dress, also about $1,400.

The New York Times is calling this new fad "bread-line chic". Clever. I call it "the Emperor has no clothes" syndrome. If you want a pair of matching shoes for your itchy little dress (move over LBD, the ILD is the new kid in town), then why not try Miu Miu's $600 burlap pumps? But why should we stop there. Why not, say, use the coarse fabric to upholster high-end furniture? Oh wait, that's already been done. I'm just waiting for a burlap bikini. Perhaps I should fashion one once Love and I get through cooking all the potatoes in our kitchen.

Seeing this I can't help but be reminded of that I Love Lucy episode, entitled "Lucy Gets a Paris Gown." In it Lucy decides to go on a hunger strike until Ricky agrees to buy her a designer dress, which he saves for until he finds out Ethel has been smuggling Lucy food. Ricky decides to teach Lucy a lesson by putting together a haphazard burlap dress and passing it off as a Paris original. Lucy believes him and wears it proudly. Hilarity (of course) ensues, especially because this is how ridiculous she looked:

3 comments:

A.West said...

"recession chic"...LMAO...

Unknown said...

Recession chic really gets on my nerves these days LOL

DS said...

Hahaha, I love this post! I also love that I Love Lucy episode! I am a huge geek for old-school TV shows like I Love Lucy, Golden Girls, Bewitched, etc. Anyway, sometimes you have to admit the fashion industry is crazy. Yes, I love fashion and I am willing to pay money for stuff I like, but you definitely have to draw a line somewhere. Why pay that much money for an itchy fabric that you won't want to wear more than once? There is nothing recession chic about that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin